A Darker Shade of Grey is one of the latest editions of the already classic Women’s Murder Club series. Considering the name you can figure out by yourself that is a kind of dark game, and actually it is. As soon as you get into the first scene you’ll be analyzing a dead body. The game begins with a comic-style introduction which is way too long, and which only purpose is to make an introduction of some characters (all women as you might guess). The good thing about this introduction is the music, like taken out from a suspense Hollywood movie.
In the game you’ll be starring a young detective named Lindsay who has to investigate a mysterious death. The game will recreate the elements of a police murder investigation as you play it. Hopefully, at the end of the game you will have solved the case. Beyond the story, the game is a typical “seek & find” game. There are lots of games alike but this one is different from others since its particular dynamic. Instead of giving a list of items to look for in a messy scene, the game makes you determine what items could represent a clue for your investigation. Besides, in some cases you have to pick up items you thing you might need later, and then use them wisely to progress in the search of clues and leads. Each scene requires you to find a certain amount of items and perform some tasks in order to pass to the next one. There are five hints available per scene for you to use if you get stuck at any time. Of course, these hints are not for free so they will cost you a few seconds each time you use them.
When you first enter the game, you’ll be asked for a player name and then you’ll be reaching the main menu with the following options on it:
- Profiles: After you create one or more players, they’ll be saved in this section. When you enter into this submenu, you’ll be asked for a name as a new player. It’s possible to have a list of different profiles and record their performance. This way, you can play home tournaments with family and friends.
- Play: to start playing the first chapter of the game, after viewing the game introduction.
- Options: this is the menu from which you can set some game options like sound volume, music volume, and full/windowed screen.
- Help: this section shows some help written information about the rules of the game.
- Credits and Exit: no further explanation required.
- It has good graphics and sound effects
- The game takes place in well recreated scenarios
- You can buy it for an affordable price
- The interface is only available in English
- It’s not a multiplayer game
- You can´t play over a network